It’s odd that given a choice between the best pro-athletes and amateurs, one would choose amateurs. Most college football players are not pro-level talent, and the older you get, the more it dawns on you that you are watching people not old enough to drink hit each other. So when the weekend rolls around, why watch football on Saturday instead of/in addition to Sunday?
For one, the game itself is different at the college level. The rules are somewhat different, like only needing one foot in bounds to make a catch, having wide-ass hash marks (20 ft. wider than the NFL), the clock stops to reset the chains on first down, and no sudden death overtime to name a few. But no one cheers for the rules. It’s actually the varied level of talent and skill sets that make college football fun.
Most pro offenses have a pocket passer who occasionally scrambles when a play falls apart, and defenses are tailored to that type of offense. College football, in contrast, is madness and chaos. Sometimes a team has a quarterback whose biggest strength is not throwing. I’ve seen a college quarterback punt. Coaches still have preferred offense styles, but they need to get creative with the talent they have in order to be successful. Sometimes success looks really weird, and that is awesome.
The game becomes something else when you don’t always have the biggest, strongest, most talented guys playing against each other. The variety of offenses, how that affects defensive play, the way anything can happen, adds to the experience of watching college ball. No team is safe, especially in this upset-prone year. For example, (at the time) unbeaten number two Ohio State lost to unranked Penn State. Ohio State is still the better team, but some Angels in the Outfield shit went down.
This brings me to my next point. Take a look at what happens after Penn State wins the game. As a reminder, this was not after a bowl game or a championship game.
Sure, spectators get pretty hyped up at NFL games, but it’s different. I don’t think I’ve ever seen people cry at NFL games, and you sure as hell can’t rush the field. There are no student tickets, no marching bands, and no weird trophies for rivalry matches in the NFL. In college football, it’s like everyone has agreed to keep a strange, old patchwork of random crap we’ve liked since the late-1800s (apparently that includes pig statutes, skillets, and long lineages of various dogs) and engage in something akin to group hysteria once a week. That’s called tradition, folks.
Another part of tradition is that the teams don’t move. Notre Dame football will never move to L.A. to get more money. There is something about trying to maintain an institution and style of play for over a hundred years in the same place that appeals to people. I would argue especially in America since we’re still a young country compared to the rest of the world.
I’ll let Stephen Fry explain some of this wonderful ridiculousness:
Okay, so if you’re newish to college football who should you watch?
If you’re interested in following a team that will have a shot at the National Championship, you have a few options. The Alabama Crimson Tide has been ranked number one for several weeks running for good reason. While they’re not the flashiest team, they get ‘er done. The Michigan Wolverines are ranked number two with one of the best defenses in college football. For the ACC I’m skipping over number three Clemson to tell you to follow number five Louisville because they’re more fun to watch. (You wanna fight about it, Clemson?!) The Cinderella story in the rankings is number four Washington; a team that historically has been overshadowed by the Oregon Ducks, but who beat their asses with a dynamic offense and solid defense.
Honestly though, the National Championship isn’t why people love college football. Most fans are happy if their team gets into a bowl game and wins their rivalry games. If you want to see college football at it’s peak, I’d actually recommend setting aside November 26th for some intense viewing. There’s Alabama vs. Auburn, Florida vs. Florida State, Notre Dame vs. USC, and many more great rivalries. Of course, there’s also Michigan vs. Ohio State, which ESPN has ranked as one of the greatest rivalries of all.
ICYMI: Rio Olympics 2016 day ten round-up
Shaunae Miller took a head first dive to win gold in the women’s 400m final. Allyson Felix would’ve had her fifth gold medal, but Miller beat her by 0.07 seconds. Simone Biles was also close to winning five gold medals, but ended up with bronze after a mistake on the balance beam. Find out more from day ten here, and see the medal count below:
- United States: 75 (26 Gold, 23 Silver, 26 Bronze)
- China: 46 (15 Gold, 14 Silver, 17 Bronze)
- Great Britain: 41 (16 Gold, 17 Silver, 8 Bronze)
- Russia: 35 (11 Gold, 12 Silver, 12 Bronze)
- Japan: 27 (7 Gold, 4 Silver, 16 Bronze)
- France: 24 (7 Gold, 9 Silver, 8 Bronze)
This article originally appeared on OutwardOn.com.
Daily Fantasy Football Strategy – Tips and Advice
You may love playing different types of football games and recently, you have wanted to know more about Daily Fantasy Football. You want to have points that will allow you to advance. This is not the type of game that will rely on other players or your luck. The main goal is to build a team that you can be proud of so that you will win. Without a proper team, expect that you are going to lose. This is why you need to know Daily Fantasy Football strategy.
In this game, you will get more cash in order to get your dream team. In fact, you are going to need cash to purchase the right players that will work for the team that you want to build. The positions that you need to fill up are the following:
- Running Back
- Wide Receiver
- Tight End
You are going to start with mediocre players as usual but you can always improve if you would get more money to purchase. Always start with your quarterback. The better your quarterback is, the more chances that you will get a lot of money. Out of all the players that are mentioned, the one that you need to pay a lot of attention to is the wide receiver. This is going to be the most consistent player of all. You have to buy wide receivers that will be consistent in scoring. If there is one position that you can skip first, you can skip the tight end players. There is no way of knowing how well they will score. Second that, you can skip is the kicker because it will be hard to predict how they will score as well.
Some Winning Strategies to Use
Now that you are more familiar with the different player positions that you will encounter when you play the game, we will provide more details about the Daily Fantasy Football strategy that will allow you to get more cash in the long run.
- If you would like to have a quarterback that can do well, make sure that you pick out an underdog quarterback that can score points and will throw a ton in order to score points for your team.
- For the running back, you have to choose someone that is known to be reliable. This is when you can choose a crowd favorite running back as it will make all the difference with the game.
- Purchase two wide receivers that are consistent in making points. Choose wide receivers that have already done well before and have not played badly.
- Make sure that you have a strong kicker that can go against the tight defense of the opponent. The better your kicker is, the better your chances of scoring points. The bigger and stronger the player is, the better it will be for you.
- If you are unsure when you need to work on your defense, take a look at the weather. Is it raining, is it snowing? If the weather conditions are less than favorable, have a great defense to prevent the other team from scoring.
Other Tips You Should Not Forget
It is easy to focus on Daily Fantasy football strategy that works especially if you have tried it and you like the results but remember that there are always some differences that will occur. You need to make sure that you will still make your own decisions based on your intuition. Here are some more additional tips that may help you out with your game:
- There may be some star players that have been playing badly the past weeks and you are unsure if you are going to get that player while the price is right. (AKA affordable) The player is not a star player for nothing. He may be able to increase his speed again and improve his skills so that he can be the best player that you can have on your team.
- It will be hard to pick some players sometimes because the ones that you want are unavailable but just be patient and you may be able to get them eventually.
- Some players from the West may be traveling towards the East and you are interested in letting these players play. The travel time will not be worth it. They will not arrive on time and your team won’t be able to play.
Which Daily Fantasy football strategy is your favorite? If you have some strategies too, feel free to share. It will be appreciated by players from different parts of the globe.
Entertainment1 year ago
32 worst things Donald Trump has ever said
Entertainment2 years ago
32 of the worst things Donald Trump has said since running for President
Entertainment2 years ago
Netflix Secret Codes Guide
Travel3 years ago
27 Foreign Laws You Don’t Want to Break
Entertainment3 years ago
30 Animals that Will Make You Fear Australia
News2 years ago
The 24 Dankest Bernie Sanders Memes
Entertainment3 years ago
27 Surprising Facts About Beer
Entertainment1 year ago
25 Most Disturbing Urban Dictionary Words Ever