Donald Trump: Billionaire, real estate mogul, reality TV star…Nobel Peace Prize winner? According to the AFP, it could technically happen. It’s just extremely, extremely unlikely.
The way the Nobel Peace Prize process works is fairly simple and hasn’t changed much in its 115 year history. First, candidates are submitted to the Norwegian Nobel Committee, which is selected by the Norwegian Parliament by “qualified individuals.” Some of the examples of “qualified individuals” that the Norwegian Nobel Committee gives are:
- Members of national assemblies and governments, and members of the Inter-Parliamentary Union
- Members of the Permanent Court of Arbitration and the International Court of Justice at the Hague
- Members of Institut de Troit International
- University professors of history, social sciences, philosophy, law, and theology, university presidents, and directors of peace research and international affairs institutes
- Former recipients, including board members of organizations that have previously received the prize
- Present and past members of the Norwegian Nobel Committee
- Former permanent advisers to the Norwegian Nobel Institute
So, with this in mind, it should be known that anyone who fits one of the descriptions set above can submit a candidate for selection, but that doesn’t mean that the candidate will be seriously considered, let alone win. Previous candidates submitted for selection have been extremely diverse, spanning people of different races, sexes, religious affiliations, and accomplishments. Mahatma Gandhi, the famed peaceful protester who helped liberate India from British colonial rule, was nominated five times, while tyrannical dictator and well-known mass murderer Adolf Hitler was nominated twice.
According to Kristian Berg Harpviken, director of the Peace Research Institute of Oslo, Donald Trump was submitted for nomination on the grounds of “his vigorous peace through strength ideology, used as a threat weapon of deterrence against radical Islam, ISIS, nuclear Iran and Communist China.”
Translation: Donald Trump is walking and talking extremely loudly and he just needs a big stick to help him achieve world peace.
So could Donald Trump win the Nobel Peace Prize? Yes, he technically could. But if Gandhi couldn’t pull it off, I’d say the odds on the Donald being able to do it are just a bit slim.
David is a writer, student at Middle Tennessee State University, and digital content producer at 301 Digital Media. He likes listening to the same songs over and over again, cooking, and stirring up trouble on Facebook. Follow him on Twitter and Instagram: @Dave_Trace